/'' http-equiv='refresh'/> You Should Believe Me !: Give Value, Make Money!

Saturday 9 August 2014

Give Value, Make Money!

Last Sunday, I climbed over the pedestrian bridge at Lekki Phase 1, here in Lagos and I learnt one valuable lesson that morning; giving value attracts money! It's that simple.
There was a handicapable man on the bridge who could not walk. He sat on this low piece of wood with little tyres under to wheel him around with the support of his bare hands (he did not even have a wheel chair). But he thought to himself, "I have no legs but I do have hands. Rather than just stay here and ask for alms like all these other ones like me, here's what I will do. I will pick up a broom and sweep this heavily littered bridge. It might take a while because I will have to wheel slowly and take many breaks in-between but I won't just stay here and ask for alms, I'll add value".
While I walked across, I saw  him at the centre of the bridge, with the broom placed beside him with one half of the bridge clean and the other half as work in pro. I had to stop and at least "reward him". It didn't even feel like I was doing something charitable, it felt like I was rewarding hard work and creativity.

 
Do I encourage street begging? No (the government says no as well). But are they there and do they need help? Big fat YES! This man did not see himself as helpless, he created an impact in his environment and I am sure others who passed by that day felt the same way as I felt and "rewarded him" as well.
We are not as poor as we think. We all have a resource that is needed. Discover it and exchange its value for money!

No comments:

Post a Comment