/'' http-equiv='refresh'/> You Should Believe Me !: Take A Chill Pill - How to De-Clutter Your Mind

Sunday 1 November 2015

Take A Chill Pill - How to De-Clutter Your Mind





Smart phones, the Internet, social media, turning up.These are some of the things that are relentlessly making us smarter and dumbing us down at the same time. 

I love the fast age we are living in, don't get me wrong. My work and my blog are made possible by it in the first place.  However, I'll be telling a big lie if I say I'm not worried for our minds.


There is no space for our minds to be alone anymore.  Information is constantly hitting us from different media, work is placing its demands on our minds and personal relationships are also laying claim to the tiny window of spare time we have. 

So what do we do? How do we preserve our sanity in this seemingly insane world?  How do we go from day to day without crossing to the other side of sanity?

I'll tell you what works. Works for me and a good number of people I know. Take mind breaks! Just a few minutes in a day where your mind is empty.

No,  it's not prayer? It's not meditation.  Its simply having your mind do nothing. Not thinking of money, or work, or family, or anything, just straight up mind napping.
Either of two things can happen when we do this.

Firstly, we could finally hear what our minds have been trying to tell us. Sometimes, we are too busy for our own good.  We run around looking for insight and inspiration. Meanwhile, all we need has been deposited in our spirits and our minds try in futility to communicate this to us.

Why do people get inspired on holidays and getaways?  The inspiration doesn't reside in the holiday location, it resides in you. You brought it to the holiday spot, but you needed the holiday to bring it out of you. 

You should take your mind to the safari or the Caribbean for a couple of minutes a day, here in the heart of Lagos (or whatever city you are) so it can gently teach and change you. 

The second possible outcome is a simple well deserved rest.  For some of us, our minds do not even rest at night. We either sleep too few hours at night or our poor minds are still counting and calculating money in our dreams.

A few minutes everyday. Not for inspiration, not for prayer, not for meditation, but simply for being 'empty'  and 'emptied'. 

Until you try it,  you never think you need it.  But once you try it, you'll never understand how and why you lived life without it.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice one.
    I could have sworn you were talking to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm glad I'm able to speak to you personally. Hope it helps you de-clutter

      Delete